Professional Certifications & MBA Programs

The education you get at Providence is a solid foundation for professional certification and further studies in business.

  • Courses taken at Providence can be transferred and used to an accounting designation.
  • Your Business degree is also acceptable as a prerequisite to the Asper School‘s, MBA program.
  • Other professional business designations also use Providence’s Business degree as the foundation for their training.


All three Canadian accounting designations—CA, CGA, and CMA—accept the Providence Business degree.


As a graduate, you can move into the CGA Program and receive credit for work done at Providence on par with other business degrees. Six of the required CGA courses were possible to take at Providence. The process happens through CGA Manitoba.


The Business Administration degree covers some CMA Entrance Examination requirements, and most of the requirements for the CMA Accelerated Program. Details at CMA Manitoba.


Your Providence degree can count towards Chartered Accounting School of Business (CASB) prerequisites. Of nine accepted courses, you may select four Providence courses to count towards CASB prerequisites. Details at the CASB website.


The Asper School of Business at the University of Manitoba recognizes the Providence Business degree as an acceptable academic pre-requisite. Interested alumni should contact Bruce Duggan to discuss and get the contact information for an Asper Graduate Program Advisor.

If you are considering an MBA program somewhere other than Manitoba, they will usually follow the University of Manitoba’s lead. Contact Bruce Duggan if you run into any difficulties, and we’ll be happy to intercede with them.

Other Professional Desginations

Some of these are familiar with the Providence Business program and will accept our Business degree routinely. Others may be less familiar with our program, and may require direct contact from us. Contact Us if you run into any problems.

  • CHRP (Certified Human Resources Professional)

Increasingly, human resources and staff management professionals are becoming certified through the Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) program. Certification is handled through Human Resource Management Association of Manitoba (HRMAM). Our adjunct, Yvonne Thompson, teaches the precursor courses for CHRP designation—Organizational Behaviour and Human Resources. Yvonne is also deeply involved with HRMAM and the CHRP process.

  • CFP (Certified Financial Planner)

Financial advising is a strongly regulated profession in Canada. Financial advisors must be certified by the Canada’s Financial Planning Standards Council. The first step in becoming a financial planning professional is to receive the Council’s CFP designation.

  • Insurance

Insurance is also a strongly regulated profession in Canada. The Insurance Council of Manitoba is responsible for the licensing and discipline of insurance agents, brokers and adjusters in our province. They operate under the umbrella of Insurance Canada. Which license you should obtain as you start your career insurance depends on which branch of insurance you want to start in. Check out Insurance Canada’s Jobs Page to get started.

  • PCP (Payroll Compliance Practitioner)

The PCP program, operated under the Canadian Payroll Association (CPA), requires students to take a number of courses at outside institutions; most of these courses are available through the Providence Business program.